Oaklands campsite chigwell row essex

Rated 4.50/5 based on 973 customer reviews

The earliest written evidence of this settlement is in the charter of Edward the Confessor in 1062 which granted various estates, including Tippedene (Debden) and Alwartune (Alderton Hall, in Loughton), to Harold Godwinson (later King Harold II) following his re-founding of Waltham Abbey.

Following the Norman conquest, the town is also mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086, with the name Lochintuna.

The series propelled Jodie Marsh, one of its featured characters to fame.

oaklands campsite chigwell row essex-70

oaklands campsite chigwell row essex-8

From here, on a clear day, there is a panoramic view of London landmarks and the North Downs beyond.

The parish of Loughton covers an area of about 3,724 acres (15 km), but in 1996 some parts of the south of the old parish were transferred to Buckhurst Hill parish, and other small portions to Chigwell and Theydon Bois.

At the time of the 2001 census Loughton had a population of 30,340, The earliest structure in Loughton is Loughton Camp, an Iron Age earth fort in Epping Forest dating from around 500 BC.

Hidden by dense undergrowth for centuries it was rediscovered in 1872.

The first references to the site of modern-day Loughton date from the Anglo-Saxon period when it was known as Lukintune ("the farm of Luhha").

Leave a Reply